Guideline for travelers to prevent Covid-19 infection
Latest Updates - : This guidance offers useful information on prevention of the novel coronavirus infection for travelers. Please take a chance to review this resource before and during your trip.
What to do before and after your trip
Take your temperature and check your overall health condition before departure. Out of an abundance of caution, consider cancelling your trip if you experience fever or cold-like symptoms. Wash your hands and face after returning home each day, and change your clothes and take a shower when possible.
If you become sick on your trip
If you feel sick, stop traveling and return home. Consider visiting a doctor if you develop a fever or cold-like symptoms, otherwise refrain from going out until you recover.
Before starting your trip
Assess your overall health condition and measure your body temperature to ensure it is at a regular level.
Make sure you have a face mask (including spares) that can last the duration of your trip. It is recommended to carry hand sanitizer at all times, as well as a thermometer, towel and a small plastic bag — useful for storing or disposing of masks.
Refrain from travelling to areas where infection might be spreading — check the news for your area.
Try to avoid crowds by booking in advance (eg taxis), avoiding rush hour and staggering your arrival time.
Consult our resources on where to check for the latest coronavirus information.
During your trip
- Buy tickets online as much as possible. Select a seat that can maintain distance from other passengers when booking.
- Wash/sanitize your hands after touching items—like hand rails—which may be shared with many people.
- Avoid rush hour and physical contact with others.
- When queuing for a bus or train, try to maintain a safe distance between others around you.
- Refrain from talking too much when using public transport.
- Wash/sanitize your hands before getting in a car so as to minimise the risk of transferring the virus.
- Sanitize the door handle, steering wheel, gearshift etc before departure.
- Ventilate the car frequently to ensure a fresh circulation of air while driving.
- Book in advance/buy advance tickets to avoid unnecessary queuing in crowds — learning more about your destination by planning online can also save time at the venue and avoid unnecessary movement.
- Avoid entering a facility when it is crowded.
- When waiting in line, do not get too close to the person in front.
- Maintain social distancing when exploring a venue by foot or when you need to take a seat.
- Wash and sanitize your hands before and after having a meal.
- Keep wearing your mask until just before you start eating.
- Taking out your meal is also encouraged when possible and the weather is right.
- If sharing food, use serving spoon/chopsticks and individual plates.
- When you wait in line, do not get too close to the person before you.
- Keep as much distance as possible from other customers. Do not take seats facing each other.
- Try to refrain from talking too much lot when there are other customers.
- Refrain from entering a shop when it is crowded.
- Refrain from touching samples or displays but instead appreciate them from a distance.
- Try not to stay too long inside shops.
- When you wait for your turn in choosing items or making payment, try to keep as much distance as possible from other customers.
- When you wait in line for checking in or out, be sure to keep a distance from the person before you.
- If you feel ill or have a fever, tell a hotel clerk immediately.
- Keep a social distance from others while staying.
- Do not use a shared towel but use your own or furnished one in your room.
- Enter information for all the members of your party on the guest registration card, just in case.
Handbook for travelers to prevent Covid-19 infectionDownload Guidelines (2.7MB)
Record your trip details
Be smart and take a record of your activities in detail, just in case. If you happen to get infected at some point, this will help authorities with infection prevention measures.Download Travel Journal template